The Good Bad days in Chess World
I think I have found out why I can play some really good games but then in a total transformation almost like I am living in a parallel universe I can play such bad games.
I researched how I prepare for say a competition or league match, I detail my routine below;
Week before event;
- 7 days before event – 5.2 to 10.2 min blitz games x 30, Correspondence games x 40 approx
- 6 days before event – 15.5 min games x 5, Correspondence games x 20 approx
- 5 days before event – 20 min games x 5, Correspondence games x 10 approx
- 4 days before event – 30 min games x 3, Correspondence games x 5 approx
- 3 days before event – 1.15 plus 10 game x 1, Correspondence games x 3 approx
- 2 days before event – 1.15 plus 10 game x 1, Correspondence games x 2 approx
- 1 day before event – 30 min games x 2, 15 min games x 2
- Match day – Perform
So on match day I feel energised, focussed and most of the time make good moves and develop well to a positive advantage.
After the match I go back to playing online and somehow the focus, position and targeting are not as sharp…and this is why. I go into a state of nonchalance with my pieces. Hoping to somehow be able to perform without putting too much thought into my moves. Almost like checking if my chess play could be delivered without any effort, without any calculation, without any learning. Why do I put myself through this phase, well it isn’t a phase that I had any control over until now.